R. Mark Maritote, P.C. - DuPage County personal injury lawyer

Justice For The Injured

Experience makes a difference in cases of serious personal injury or wrongful death. Attorney Mark Maritote has advocated for hundreds of victims of car accidents and other injuries, with a long record of verdicts and settlements.

Header Background
In this section

Slip and fall laws in Illinois

Slip and fall cases usually occur because a business owner was negligent in maintaining their property. This may involve a temporary substance on a floor, or a permanent crack in a walkway. When someone suffers a serious injury in a fall on another person's property, they must prove liability to receive compensation for their damages.

The victim and their attorneys must prove the fall was the direct result of negligence and recklessness. 

What do I need to prove in my case?

The fact that you suffered a serious injury on someone’s property does not entitle you to compensation by itself, though many facilities have a form of insurance in the event of a fall. To better your chances at a successful slip and fall lawsuit, you must prove:

  1. An unreasonable risk of harm was present on the property
  2. The property owner was aware, or should have been aware of that condition
  3. The store or property owner would reasonably expect that people would not know of the danger, or fail to avoid it

The time it existed may be hard to prove if it was temporary. It is important to prove whether the cause of the accident was there for long. If you are able, you’ll want to take a picture of what caused you to fall. This could help when proving liability.

The statute of limitations

If you had a slip or fall accident, you’ll want to file a lawsuit against the person or entity responsible for your injuries before the statute of limitations expires. For an accident on private property, the statute of limitations is two years. If your accident happened on public property, you have a year to file before the expiration.

Some people are hesitant to take legal action after a slip or fall incident because of embarrassment or clumsiness. However, if you believe you may have a case against a property owner, you may be entitled to seek fair compensation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

When You Need Legal Help, We Are Here For You.
We are ready to talk to you about your potential claim and how we can help. Contact us today for
your free, immediate consultation and case evaluation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Map and direction

Office Location

R. Mark Maritote, P.C.
1060 East Lake Street, Unit 1
Hanover Park, IL 60133

Toll Free: 866-402-0174
Phone: 630-830-9300
Fax: 630-894-0078
Hanover Park Law Office Map

Contact Us